We love Aldrin!
Check out our interview with Aldrin just before he hits the main room of Zouk Singapore!
1. We’re looking forward to having you back in the main room on 2 June. This is the 9th year of the ONE series. How do you consistently manage to keep things fresh year after year?
I’ve never been a music purist, hence my sets have always covered a broad cross-section of dance music, keeping some balance between the underground and the commercial, and also striking some balance between educating and entertaining. As music styles & tastes morph and change through time, I adapt accordingly, and giving it a little twist of my own. The way I see it, it’s all music, so what’s important is not what I play, but how & when I play it.
2. Where’ve you been playing lately? Any particular gigs really stand out for you? Tell us why.
My most recent gig was at Fly in Hong Kong. A nice 300 capacity joint with a very beautiful , up-for- it crowd of locals and expats that loved it when the music got deeper as the night progressed. My best gig in Hong Kong to date!
3. Are there any up-and-coming DJs or producers (local or international) who have impressed you lately and what are their names?
Lately, I’ve been getting into the productions and remixes of Dubspeeka, Format:B, Mario Ochoa, David Herrero, AKA AKA, Gui Boratto, Phonique, Kolombo, YokoO, Aeroplane, Joakim, Gigamesh, Monarchy, Metronomy, etc.
4. Which songs have been on heavy rotation on your home playlist? What do you listen to when you want to relax?
As I spend most of my time downloading and listening to promotional music, and keeping up with whatever that’s being released in the digital stores, I most prefer absolute silence when I want to relax!
5. Sunrise or Sunset?
Sunset. I’m most alive at night, so I love the feeling of the sun setting, and the night taking over proceedings.
6. You have nice long hair. Do you have any special tips for keeping your hair in good condition?
Karotine treatment, Diora Keratherapy shampoo & conditioning masque, and The Body Shop’s Grapeseed glossing serum does the job for me.
7. Who are your DJ heroes?
Still preferring the old school legends like Danny Tenaglia, Carl Cox, Laurent Garnier, etc. They are truly masters of control and genre-bending sets.
8. We understand that you used to be a B-Boy. Did you have a trademark move when you battled?
That would have to be a combo of six steps to a turtle to a windmill to a backspin back to a windmill into a freeze! Aight!
9. If “We are ONE” was a movie, which movie would it be and why?
Not much of a movie buff, but I guess for something recent, The Avengers would come to mind. Individuals from different walks of life coming together for a common goal.
10. You’re a well-travelled man. What’s your favorite kind of holiday? e.g. Beach Holiday, Shopping, Camping, etc?
I like my holidays to include both the hustle & bustle of a shopping spree and the total relaxation of a retreat.