7 Questions with Roger Shah
Last Friday, Roger Shah had his debut on the Zouk decks. As the lines snaked outside the club, we managed to catch a few moments with the Trance maestro just before he hit the console!
1. What do you listen to when you’re not listening to Trance?
I listen to a wide range of music from classical movie score soundtracks to rock and also all types of dance music.
2. What makes the Magic Island so magical for you?
Talking about Ibiza as my magic island, first of all, the island is very beautiful and has some nice and hidden spots to chill out, then you can listen to all kind of music genres and see all top DJs of the world. It has beautiful sunsets and a unique nightlife with people from around the world. It’s simply a magic place.
3. You have a record label, a clothing line, a radio show. What else is in the pipeline for Roger Shah and Magic Island Music in 2012?
Just about to launch a new clothing line and expect to have it in stores new year. For this, I worked with a well-known fashion designer from New York. Music-wise, I have a couple of new collaborations planned with some other well known artist of the house & trance scene, since my music is somewhere in between. We also focus on 4 strong single releases taken from my Openminded solo artist album. This is going to be a very exciting year.
4. If you could have anybody in the world read you a bedtime story, who would it be and why?
Hmm, good question. I’ve never thought of this. LOL. Maybe I’ll pick an actor…so I’d have to say Cameron Diaz then. Why? Why not have her in your bedroom reading a bedtime story?
5. Sunrise or Sunset?
I like both, but prefer sunset, I have composed so many tunes while watching a sunset.
6. Which other dance music artistes do you admire and why?
For me, Tiesto is still by far the biggest artist and influence in dance music. I also admire artist/composer Hans Zimmer who is the biggest composer in Hollywood.
7. Tell your Zouk Singapore fans what they can expect from your set. Any special treats in store?
I have to say that I really look forward to have my debut at Zouk, you can expect a special and energetic live show which belongs to my Openminded sound which is a wide range of music. I will also try out some of the new and upcoming tunes. I’m very excited for myself.